Wednesday 27 April 2016

Trying to be useful

Over the weekend we spent some time at the block hunting for the original survey pegs that were put in over a decade ago when the subdivision was first done. After a fair bit of measuring and a little digging we were successful and found all 5 (yes that's right 5, one corner of the block is cut off at an angle) pegs and marked them ready for the fencing crew who I hope are turning up next week.

X marks the spot, or boundary in this case.

I've been looking a gates/fences and dreaming of what could be but as we have a large block we therefore have a lot of fencing to do and at this stage it will all be visible by passes by. Two of our boundaries are road facing, the block next to us is still empty which means the fence on that side will be in full view until the block is bought and built on too and the bottom boundary joins with a reserve so it has already been fenced with a rural style fence of pine rounds and barb-wire. This means that we have close to 300 meters of fence and you can imagine how much that could cost if money was no object. Alas it is and we have to be sensible.




In the end I've decided that having a solid fence around the entire block would look a little funny and somewhat like a prison andway. So for now we are putting in the same rural fencing as the existing bottom fence and one day maybe we will upgrade to a white post and rail fence.



I am also thinking a nice wrought iron gate will fit with the fence we are building and still keep me aesthetically happy. I've found a could of beauties and am waiting for a quotes from Farmweld a South Australian company I found online. Fingers crossed they come in under budget.


 


This turned out to be great timing as I received a phone call from the builder just this morning telling me he will be doing a trip up to visit us, the block and the local tradies next week (insert excited face here). The first step will be to get the surveyor to peg out exactly where the house will sit so the excavation team can come in a do the site cut.

Finally it seems we might actually be ready to start, but I'm still not holding my breath as I've already learnt not to believe it until I see it.  

2 comments: