Saturday 14 May 2016

A chefs kitchen

A lot of thought has been put into what my dream kitchen is going to be like one day. I'm a chef by trade so food is a huge part of my life, it has also meant I have spent a lot of time in kitchens over the years. With every kitchen I have entered or worked in I have taken little snippets of design ideas away with me. I love spending time in my kitchen and really want this kitchen to be the kitchen I have been dreaming of and planing towards for most of my adult life.

KITCHEN INSPIRATION PICTURES:

 

Sorry about the crappy quality picture.
This is a very similar layout to what our kitchen is going to be, except the doors opening onto a large alfresco area which includes an outdoor kitchen, dining and lounge area.

Things I love about this kitchen:
  • The 3 pendant lights over the island bench.
  • The white shaker style cabinetry with black draw pulls.
  • The dark timber floor.
  • The white over head cupboards with glass doors.
  • The white apron style sink.
Things I would change:
  • I want white or very light grey bench tops instead of the black.
  • I don't want ends like this on the island bench in order to create more room and flexibility.
  • Remove the archway separating the kitchen and other area (which will be our dining area).
  • I will also add lighting into the over head glass cupboards. 


I found this beautiful kitchen (on the left) designed and built by  http://ourhamptonstyleforeverhome.blogspot.com.au/2014/11/my-dream-kitchen.html and her inspiration kitchen (on the right).
 
Very similar colour scheme and style to what I am planning except our kitchen is a lot bigger with benches running around three walls in addition to the island bench.

Things I love about these kitchens:
  • The colours are fantastic, light and bright with a little contrast. 
  • The 3 pendants over the island bench.
  • Glass over head cupboards.
  • The use of marble. 
  • The tap-ware.
Things I would change:
  • We aren't having the sink in the island bench as I don't want the pile of dirty dishes to be the first thing you see . Let's be honest here, our kitchen isn't always going to be this spotless. I understand that a lot of modern kitchens have butler pantries for this reason but I feel like that is great in theory but in reality we will end up with dirty dishes (or even clean dishes in the rack) covering the island.
  • We are having a black country style oven (shown in my 'Shopping for my kitchen' post) instead of the stainless steel so I want to complement it with black draw pulls and cupboard handles.
  • I want to add extra lighting, it is a real pet hate of mine to be chopping in your own shadow. The plan is to have lights inside our over head cupboards, mainly for ambience, and also under them shining down on the benches. Lucky one of my husbands best mates is our electrician!
  • I want our island bench to have an overhang the whole way along to accommodate as much seating as possible.   


This is closer to the size and layout of our kitchen with a very similar style to what I am aiming for.

Things I love about this kitchen:
  • The dark floor matched with the white shaker style cabinetry and punctuated with black hardware.
  • The draw pulls.
  • The 3 pendant lights over the island bench.
  • The apron style sink and tap-ware.
  • The bench tops. 
  • That the sink isn't in the island but instead is under a window. 
  • The lights under the over head cupboards.
Things I would change:
  • A more traditional oven and range hood to fit in with the style. 
  • The windows over the sink. We are having bi-fold windows that open onto our alfresco area. 

 

THE DETAILS: 

 

Here are a few of my design ideas to get the most out of our kitchen. The cabinet maker is going to hate me and the budget might also.




Kitchen windows like this over the sink except all opening to one side and with out the bar detail.

THE PANTRY:

 

I am so looking forward to having a MASSIVE walk-in-pantry as we don't have a pantry at all at the moment. It is going to serve as the storage area, house the upright freezer but also allow me to have most of my bench top appliances set up at all times.




This is the kind of thing we are going for. Cupboards to bench height, then open shelving above that. I am really liking the wood bench tops matched with the white cupboards but not sure how smart wooden tops are?



Loving the white subway tiles too. And if the budget stretches far enough I would love to continue the stone bench tops into the pantry as well.





I think its important to have a combination of cupboards
(with doors to hide the messy stuff)
and open shelves to have beautiful glass jars
and neater items on display.
Like these ones from Myer

No comments:

Post a Comment